G’day! Given this is my first blog, as Director of Scenic Spectrums I find myself asking, “Why am I doing this?”
Heaven knows there are enough essential things to do, especially during the year that we are restructuring our development, design, environmental and tourism consulting activities under our Geoscene banner and introducing a new set of market survey services under Six Minute Surveys.
The reason is exactly because we are usually so busy that we don’t often get the chance to discuss a whole range of planning, design and management issues that frequently cross our paths. There are development challenges and environmental problems to be solved and – thankfully – sometimes good responses and solutions to be shared and talked about.
Although I prefer sitting down with a mixed group of people on a Friday night to brainstorm over a congenial ale or a coffee, time does not always allow this. And honestly, such get-togethers are fun, but often stray off-point and by the end of the night nothing is really resolved.
So, what types of topics will I blog about? Well, here are just a few possibilities in no particular order, although I won’t guarantee at this stage that all of these will necessarily be addressed or that the emphasis may not change somewhat:
1. A Lesson in Not Limiting Ourselves - Vale Professor Elery Hamilton-Smith AM
2. Is It Just Me, or Do Our New Residential Suburbs All Seem to Look Alike?
3. Long Impersonal Surveys – Are They Really Necessary?
4. A Tale of Two Parks: Malvern Urban Forest and Hyslop Park in Chadstone
5. World Heritage Areas – What Benefits Do They Bring?
6. Why Our Rural Areas Must Supplement the Biodiversity of Protected Areas
7. The Relationship Between Small Town Image and Tourism
8. Sustainable Urban Development – What Does Higher Density Do for Ecological Sustainability?
9. Climate Change: Retaining Biodiversity When We Don’t Know Exactly What Will Happen?
10. Australia’s Everyday Landscapes: Does Anybody Really Care About Them?
11. Cultural Change in Australian Cities and How It Affects the Look of Things
12. Sustainable Population Growth – An Oxymoron?
13. Has The Whole World Gone Trail Crazy? What Are the Benefits?
14. Urban Design vs. Landscape Design – What’s The Difference?
15. Compact Cities or TODs – Do They Work?
16. Will the Sustainable Food Mile Movement Bring Back the Home Veggie Patch?
17. The Landcare and NRM Movement – What Have Been The Achievements?
18. Westgate Park – A Restored Urban Oasis under Threat?
These are just a few of the topics that have crossed my mind. How about you?
Let’s see how these topics unfold.
I invite you to have a read and add your own observations to these discussions. It’s a good way to get to know each other. And perhaps – once in a while – we can sit down and debate some of these concerns over that ale or a cuppa!